Himalayan Salt for Cooking
If you’ve ever been in a specialty foods market and noticed pink salt, you’ve probably seen Himalayan salt. There are many reasons why you might want to consider cooking with Himalayan salt instead of with traditional table salt, but if you’ve never used it before, the benefits it can provide and the techniques you may want to use for cooking with it could be different. Before you get started cooking with it, you should familiarize yourself with the different ways to use Himalayan salt in cooking.
Himalayan Salt vs. Table Salt
If you’ve been recently diagnosed with a health condition that requires you to lower your salt intake or if you’re just looking for ways to get healthier starting with what you eat on a regular basis, you may not initially be interested in using Himalayan salt for cooking. However, there are quite a few differences between this type of salt and traditional table salt, and it’s very important to make this distinction so you can better understand just what Himalayan salt can do for you.
- It’s impossible to cut salt out of your diet entirely. The human body needs a healthy level of salt to function. This doesn’t mean that you need to shower every piece of food you eat in sodium, but it does mean you need to have some of it in your diet every day to ensure proper health. Choosing Himalayan salt over table salt for your daily source of sodium is a great way to keep yourself as healthy as possible.
- Himalayan salt is a very pure and unprocessed form of salt. Regular table salt is processed so much that it contains several types of chemicals and is far removed from its naturally-occurring state. Regular sea salt is a little better for you than table salt in that it’s naturally free from toxins. Himalayan salt, however, exists in a state that is even purer than regular sea salt.
- When you use Himalayan salt in its natural state, you’re using a seasoning that contains all 84 of the natural minerals and elements found in the human body. It’s a fossilized type of salt that is so packed full of good nutrients that it’s infinitely better for your body than consuming processed table salt ever could be.
Benefits of Cooking with Himalayan Salt
Okay, so now you know a little bit about Himalayan salt vs. table salt. But what are the true benefits of cooking with pink salt? After all, it’s still a salt, so isn’t it still going to cause you some problems in the long run? The truth is that there are tons of benefits you can get from incorporating Himalayan salt into your regular diet, and you may be surprised at just what a difference it can really make when you give it a chance. Check out these great benefits of cooking with Himalayan salt that you can experience as soon as you make the change.
- Himalayan salt can help you regular your sleep, improve your breathing and respiration, and help you if you deal with a lot of sinus infections and other similar problems.
- Using Himalayan salt in cooking along with drinking enough water can help you keep your blood pressure at a healthy level without the use of medication.
- Regularly consuming Himalayan salt can help you deal with frequent muscle cramps and help your body heal from tissue and muscle damage related to injuries.
- If you struggle with digestion, incorporating Himalayan salt into your diet can make it easier to absorb food and nutrition during the process of digestion. This is especially helpful for anyone suffering from malabsorption issues.
- Although there are plenty of other important minerals present in Himalayan salt, the above health benefits come from it abundance of healthy sodium, calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium, all of which are vital to healthy human functioning.
Remember that, although there are tons of great health benefits from using Himalayan salt, you should always speak to your healthcare provider for more information. This is especially important if you have any health concerns or issues that may make changing your diet a little bit challenging.
How to Use Himalayan Salt in Cooking
If you’re feeling sold on using Himalayan salt in your cooking, you may now be wondering just how you can incorporate it. Can you use Himalayan salt like table salt? Do you have to many any complicated adjustments to be able to use it instead? Is there anything specific you need to know about making the most out of your Himalayan salt cooking experience? Below are some of the most important tips you need to keep in mind when it comes to cooking with pink salt.
- When using Himalayan salt crystals, you will probably want to grind them before incorporating them as an ingredient. Naturally, the crystals are quite large and crunchy and may be much too salty for a single bite. You can put them in a spice grinder or purchase them in their own grinder as needed.
- Most chefs prefer to use Himalayan salt as a finishing seasoning, but you can also cook with it just like you would any other type of salt. If you add it as a finisher, make sure you account for any other sources of salt or sodium you might have used as an ingredient—for example, soy sauce.
- You can also purchase a Himalayan salt block and use it to prepare a variety of foods. You can cook food directly on the salt block, usually placed on top of a grill or another heat source. This is also a great way to chill foods that need a little extra salt content as well. Himalayan salt blocks help distribute heat very evenly and also add a ton of flavor, so they work a little bit like a bigger and better take on a cast iron skillet.
“Himalayan Salt Benefits.” Mercola. Mercola.com. Web. 12 Nov 2017. http://foodfacts.mercola.com/himalayan-salt.html
“What Do I Do with Himalayan Pink Salt?” The Kitchn. TheKitchn.com. Web. 12 Nov 2017. https://www.thekitchn.com/what-do-i-do-with-himalayan-pink-salt-22708
“Himalayan Salt Recipes.” Salt Skill. SaltSkill.com. Web. 12 Nov 2017.
“Table Salt versus Himalayan Salt.” XBrain
. XBrain.com. Web. 12 Nov 2017. http://www.xbrain.co.uk/table-salt-versus-himalayan-salt